Now this recipe I cannot take credit for because my wonderful Italian mother made this tonight for dinner. It is so simple and it is a nice and refreshing way to have healthy comfort food. My mother grows the tomatoes and herbs in the garden so it is always on hand and fresh!
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- Pesto (Our pesto is homemade with basil, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, pignoli nuts, salt and pepper. According to my Nonna ( grandma ) in order to keep the pesto green, you blanch the basil in boiling water for a second before you blend all the ingredients together )
- Whole wheat dough
- Spinach leaves
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place dough in round baking sheet ( or pizza stone, if you have it ) and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Bake dough for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, spread the pesto, tomatoes, spinach leaves, salt, pepper and shredded cheese evenly on the dough
- Place pizza into oven and bake for 15 minutes