Since the weather is getting colder, I tend to get lazy and like to sit in my sweat pants and eat comfort food. If you are trying to watch your figure, then this is a problem! Last night I did a spin on mac and cheese and used quiona instead of pasta, added some veggies and used 4 different kinds of cheeses. I threw in whatever veggies I had in my fridge!
- 1 cup uncooked quiona
- 2 cups of water (You can use stock also)
- 1/2 cup of shredded white cheddar
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of chopped kale (I sliced my kale really thin)
- 1/4 cup of chick peas (I used canned chickpeas. I drained them and rinsed off with water)
- 1/4 cup of yellow peppers
- 1/4 cup of red onion
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Take the 1 cup of quiona and place in saucepan. I like to toast my quiona so bring the temperature to medium-high heat and let it toast. Make sure to stir the quiona so it doesn’t get burnt. You will know it is toasted because you will hear crackling sounds and smell the nuttiness. Once the quiona is toasted, add 2 cups of water and let it cook on low heat for 15 minutes with the lid on it.
- While the quiona is cooking, chop up your veggies.About 10 minutes into the cooking process, throw all your veggies into the pot and let it cook with the quiona covered.
- Take the lid off and add the cheese. Allow cheese to melt, add salt, pepper and red pepper! Devour