This recipe is hands down in the top 5 things I have ever made! It satisfies all of your comfort food cravings!
- 1 package whole-wheat macaroni or tri colored pasta
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash, boiled and pureed
- 1 cup low-fat organic milk
- 1 tablespoon organic butter or butter alternative
- 3 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup grated part-skim sharp cheddar
- 1 cup of Mexican cheese
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms, diced ( This is optional. I added this because I love mushrooms and it gave it a nice earthy taste)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan (for topping)
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put the butternut squash puree in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the milk, butter, mushrooms and yogurt and continue to stir until incorporated.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to a boiling pot of salter water and cook for 8-9 minutes or until “al dente”
- When the puree begins to simmer, slowly start adding the cheeses, mixing the entire time. When all of the cheese is melted and the sauce begins to thicken, season with a little salt and pepper, to taste. Taste and season until the desired flavor is achieved.
- When the flavor is spot-on, stir in 1/4 of the macaroni at a time.
- When all of the pasta is saturated with the cheese sauce, transfer the mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish. Top with a half a cup of breadcrumbs and sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- Broil for 5-6 minutes until breadcrumbs start to brown
Thanks to http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-recipes/guilt-free-comfort-food-butternut-mac-and-cheese for the inspiration!