I have been wanting to make this Asian broccoli salad I saw on Pinterest for a while now so this afternoon I trekked through the snow to get the ingredients. My mom took out chicken for dinner but couldn’t decide what kind to make. As I was making the broccoli salad, we decided to make it an Asian night! I found a recipe for a healthy sesame chicken ( which ended up only be 200 calories, woot woot!!) and paired it with my broccoli salad and some brown rice! So delicious and easy to make!
200 Calorie Sesame Chicken
**I personally love a lot of sauce on my food so in the future I am going to double the ingredients below because the sauce gets soaked up in the chicken and I wanted a little extra on the side
- 4 chicken tenderloins, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Sesame seeds, to taste
- 1 cup of snow peas, blanched (optional)
- Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic powder. Stir until well combined
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover with foil, and bake at 325 for an hour
- After an hour has passed, uncover, and sprinkle the chicken with sesame seeds. Bake, uncovered, for another 30 minutes
- Add in snow peas when dish is removed from oven.
- Serve hot
Thanks to http://rainstormsandlovenotes.com/2013/03/sesame-chicken.html for the recipe!
Asian Broccoli Salad topped with a Creamy Peanut Sauce
Broccoli Salad Ingredients:
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup shelled cooked edamame
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1 batch peanut sauce (recipe below)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup natural skinny peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (if you are gluten-free, use GF soy sauce or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar (I used honey)
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons hot water, as needed to thin the sauce
Directions to make broccoli salad:
- Heat a large pot of water until it is boiling. Add in the broccoli florets and boil for 30 seconds.
- Use a strainer to transfer them into a bowl of ice water, which will immediately halt the cooking process. Drain.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and toss until combined. Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds if desired.
Directions to make peanut sauce:
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined. If the dressing is too thick, whisk in hot water a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the consistency you desire.
Thanks to http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/asian-broccoli-salad-peanut-sauce/ for the recipe!