Now that I officially moved into my new apartment, I am living on a serious budget. This meal cost me about $3 to make!
- 1/2 package of brown rice pasta
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 pieces of cooked grilled chicken ( I usually cook a huge thing of chicken on Sunday and use it during the week)
- 1/4 cup of chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 TBSP basil (I did not have fresh basil sadly, but I used dry basil instead)
- 1/2 TBSP garlic powder
- 2 TBSP reserved pasta water
- Pecorino Romano cheese (If you choose any cheese for this dish, but this cheese is my favorite)
- Fill a saucepan with water and place on the stove. Once it boils, add in salt and pasta and cook about 7 minutes (Under cook your pasta because you will want to finish cooking it in the sauce. Adding salt to the water gives the pasta flavor, if you don’t add salt it will taste like cardboard.)
- While the pasta is boiling, heat a skillet over medium heat with olive oil and garlic. for 2 minutes (Do not let the garlic burn). Add in cherry tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add in chickpeas and the reserved pasta water.
- Drain your pasta and add the pasta in the skillet. Coat the pasta in the sauce and let cook for 3 minutes. Add in the Pecorino Romano, basil, chicken and garlic powder.
- Transfer to a dish and add more cheese and salt and pepper to taste.