For the Butternut Parmesan Sauce:
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Lasagna:
- 9 brown rice lasagna noodles, cooked (I used these)
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, heated and squeezed well
- 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese (I like Polly-o)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- Salt and fresh pepper
- 9 tbsp (about 3 oz) part skim shredded Italian Blend Cheese (I used Sargento)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until soft. Remove squash with a slotted spoon, reserve about 1 cup of the water and set aside, then blend until smooth with an immersion blender, adding 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid to thin out.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick skillet, add the oil, sauté the shallots and garlic over medium-low heat until soft and golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add pureed butternut squash, season with with salt and fresh cracked pepper and add a little more of the reserved water to thin out to your liking. Stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Ladle about 1/2 cup butternut sauce sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Ladle about 1 cup of sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp Italian cheese blend. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts and everything is hot and bubbly. Top with parsley and serve. Makes 9 rolls.
- To serve, ladle a little extra sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.
Thanks to http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna.html for the recipe!