- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 2 lbs of boneless thighs)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- Coconut shavings, toasted
- Handful of spinach
For the coconut rice:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cup long grain white rice ( I used brown rice to make it healthier)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Combine soy sauce, pineapple juice, water, brown sugar, scallions, garlic, and sesame oil in a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces to the bag, remove as much air as possible, and seal. Squish around to coat the chicken in the marinade well. Place in the refrigerator and marinade for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat pan to medium heat. Cook for about 5-7 minutes per-side, watching to make sure chicken doesn’t get too charred. Add handful of spinach leaves when there is 2 minutes left.
- To prepare the rice, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice, and cook for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Carefully pour in the coconut milk and water, stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir once more and re-cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 18 minutes. Remove lid and fluff rice with fork.
- Serve the chicken on a bed of the coconut rice. Garnish with additional scallions and toasted coconut.
Thanks to http://tideandthyme.com/hawaiian-chicken-coconut-rice/ for the recipe!