I had some leftover pumpkin from Halloween and didn’t want to waste it so I decide to roast the seeds and make some pumpkin soup!
- 2lb pumpkin, chopped into large chunks (remove skin and seeds)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups / 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup / 250ml low fat milk
- Salt and pepper
- Greek yogurt
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until smooth. If you don’t have a stick blender, use a blender but make sure to let it cool for about 5 minutes so you do not ruin your blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dollop with greek yogurt and toasted pumpkin seeds
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Remove pumpkin seeds and place in a bowl with hot water for five minutes. Make sure to scrape all the excess pumpkin off the seeds. When seeds are placed in the hot water, this will help clean all excess grit off.
- Once seeds are clean, dry on a paper towel. Once dried, place seeds on a lined baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Toss seeds in olive oil and spice mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, low and slow. Make sure to toss the seeds throughout the cooking process. Make sure to check on seeds because you do not want them to burn. Once they start getting slightly brown, remove from oven.